Skip to main content

Featured

Gilbride or Gallagher: Which Michael is Buried in Sacramento?

I'm taking on a little challenge this week to hopefully correct a mistake 138-years in the making. It involves a cemetery record in which the wrong surname was recorded. Was it Michael Gilbride or Michael Gallagher who was interred at St. Joseph Cemetery in Sacramento? (You may remember my posts about Michael Gilbride published in fall 2022, and how I originally discovered him, his family's move to Lowell, Massachusetts, and more. To catch up, start here:  Dear Sir: How I Found My Civil War Veteran, Michael Gilbride .) I can make a compelling case that the man was Michael Gilbride, who is a third great-granduncle, and the son of my immigrant ancestor James Gilbride (1874-1872) and his wife Mary Catherine Hart Gilbride (1807-1855). Why is this important? Michael was a Civil War veteran, who served in the 52nd Pennsylvania, Co. H. By the time he lived in Sacramento, he was indigent. In 1884, he applied for a Civil War pension, and was still fighting for it in 1886, when he died.

Finding Records of Our Religious Ancestors

Mary Jane Cassidy, aka Sister M. Magdalena, entered the order of Sisters of St. Joseph of Toronto.1

Sunny Jane Morton, who authored with Harold A. Henderson the terrific book How to Find Your Family History in U.S. Church Records, was recently featured on the family history podcast Extreme Genes. She detailed how she discovered the identity of "Sister Sister" as she called her, a previously-unknown nun in her extended family. (Listen to the interview here beginning about 10:52 minutes.)

Morton's tale reminded me of some research I did back in 2019 to find information on several religious in my own family. I wrote about them in "At Worship" in April 2019. 

Researchers should be aware that most religious orders have archives, and keep biographical info on their members. I had excellent luck with each one I contacted to obtain information on Sister M. Magdalena (formerly Mary Jane Cassidy), Father Vincent Baker, and Rev. Brother Mondolf (formerly John Patrick Cassidy), who were all Roman Catholic. I assume other denominations keep records on their members as well, so it's worth considering if you are seeking more info on your ancestors who chose religious life. I obtained biographies, obituaries, funeral cards, photos, and even a patent when I inquired with the various orders' archives.

Morton made the excellent point during her interview that since priests, brothers, and nuns remain single, they will not have anyone to carry on their legacy, and therefore, special care should be taken to remember them. This was exactly my thought as I wrote the April 2019 post; that and the fact that my Dad—Joseph Gilbride, Jr.—often spoke fondly of his aunts and uncles who served the Church and how they were full of fun and laughter. They made quite an impression on him.

Click this link to read about my three religious ancestors in "At Worship."

Until next time...

(I'll be back with more of Mom's baby book next week.)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin


NOTES

1 Detail from photo of Charles Cassidy, Edward Baker, Ina Baker, Mary Jane "Mayme" Cassidy/Sister M. Magdalena, Catherine Cassidy and Sarah Dyer Baker, after 1913, unknown photographer/location; private collection of R. Firestone [address for private use], 2022. Date of photo calculated based on date when Mary Jane "Mayme" Cassidy received the Sisters of St. Joseph habit in 1913 and when she took final vows in 1920, per her order's biography. Individuals are identified on the back of the photo, by one of the daughters of Edward and Catherine Baker: "Dad's Mom," "Mom's Dad," etc.

 

 


Comments