Skip to main content

Featured

Gilbride or Gallagher: Which Michael is Buried in Sacramento?

I'm taking on a little challenge this week to hopefully correct a mistake 138-years in the making. It involves a cemetery record in which the wrong surname was recorded. Was it Michael Gilbride or Michael Gallagher who was interred at St. Joseph Cemetery in Sacramento? (You may remember my posts about Michael Gilbride published in fall 2022, and how I originally discovered him, his family's move to Lowell, Massachusetts, and more. To catch up, start here:  Dear Sir: How I Found My Civil War Veteran, Michael Gilbride .) I can make a compelling case that the man was Michael Gilbride, who is a third great-granduncle, and the son of my immigrant ancestor James Gilbride (1874-1872) and his wife Mary Catherine Hart Gilbride (1807-1855). Why is this important? Michael was a Civil War veteran, who served in the 52nd Pennsylvania, Co. H. By the time he lived in Sacramento, he was indigent. In 1884, he applied for a Civil War pension, and was still fighting for it in 1886, when he died.

My Mom, the Bowler

My Mom, enjoying her favorite hobby: bowling. (Photo colorized with MyHeritage photo tools.)
 
 
My Mom, Ann Kozlina Gilbride, loved to bowl. Her only break from us kids growing up was belonging to a bowling league in the evening one night a week for a few years. My Aunt Marian tells me it was Wednesday nights at 9:30 p.m., as she belonged to the same team and league as my Mom, in the early 1970s.
 
Our Grandma Margaret Kozlina came to watch the four kids on those nights. Grandma didn't drive or have a car, so she rode the bus that ran the Lakeshore Blvd. route from her home in Cleveland to the E. 288th stop in Willowick by the Cabin Restaurant and walked the rest of the way to our house. We loved Grandma's visits and eagerly looked out our front door window to see when she turned the corner of Blissfield Drive, and then went to meet her halfway down the street. 
 
After dinner, Mom packed up her avocado-green bowling bag, with her 13 lb. green swirl bowling ball (don't ask me why I remember how much it weighed), and her tan bowling shoes with the brown laces. And off she'd go.

I can't believe I found an image of the same bag that Mom had!

 
As I was asleep when she got home, the next day I loved to hear how she did bowling. And as I recall, she was a pretty good bowler. It was from her I learned such bowling terms as a "split," "spare," and the fun one: "turkey." I remember learning that bowling over 100 was a good score, and sometimes she might bowl 120 or 130. Impressive, at least to me. 

I'm not sure the photo's origin. Mom was certainly younger in this than when we were kids and she joined that local league. I wonder if this photo was from her high school days in the late 1950s or maybe after high school but before she got married in 1959. It's an 8" x 10" photo, which leads me to think maybe it was in a news publication—high school newspaper, employee bulletin?
 
Eventually Mom gave up the bowling league. I'm not exactly sure why. She did work a very long work week, sometimes as long as 50-60 hours in regular hours and overtime. And there were a few times that she worked the 2nd or 3rd shift, so that would have made bowling in the evenings difficult if not impossible. It could also be that as her kids grew we had too much going on to afford her a night out once a week. Or her scoliosis might have also slowed down her bowling days as it progressed over time.
 
She passed on her bowling influence to her kids. My older brother and I did after-school bowling for a few years when we were in elementary school. And both my brothers worked in the Wickliffe bowling alley when they were teens. Bowling has been a fun activity to share with my own family over the years.

I'm glad that Mom had that small respite from raising four crazy kids, and even more glad that I have this photographic memory of her enjoying herself.

Until next time...

Comments

  1. Colorized photo looks great--capturing your Mom in action at the bowling alley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't recall who gave me the photo, or maybe it was in Mom's things. I love it though. Great action shot! Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. Great story. I wonder if she was ever listed in a newspaper article about the league?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, thank you. So funny you mention that as I was just thinking that maybe she was in an employee newspaper or local news. I need to check into that. Would be fun to find. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  3. It is sometimes hard to think of our parents having much of a life outside of their children, but you did a beautiful job sharing this story of your mom and one of her apparent passions beyond motherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun story to give insight into your mom, while remembering her! Great photo of her bowling! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I have something that speaks to her non-Mom-ness!

      Delete

Post a Comment