Skip to main content

Featured

An Intriguing Immigration Theory for Joseph Becker

I've been asking the question, "What could have drawn my great-great-great-grandfather Joseph Becker and his family to Port Dalhousie from Sheldon, New York?" I heard back from one Ontario repository that I had inquired with regarding my question.  The Mayholme Foundation staff answered me this week with a simple answer and an interesting theory. The short answer was "employment opportunities." The theory involved a man named Owen McMahon.  Mayholme staff noticed that McMahon lived two doors down from my Joseph Becker in the first Canadian census in which he appears in 1871 in Port Dalhousie. The staff reported that this was significant as apparently Owen McMahon was known to have advertised to bring workers to Port Dalhousie to work in the various businesses in this growing port city. I found that McMahon was named one of the first city councillors in Port Dalhousie when it was incorporated in 1862 . Perhaps McMahon was facilitating immigration to the area in

CCC PHOTO DISCOVERY

 

Thomas Kozlina (3rd from left, bottom row), with members of his CCC 329 Co., Pine Grove Furnace, winter 1934-35.1

by Nancy Gilbride Casey


Genealogical serendipity is real! 

Just a few weeks ago, I wrote about my discovery that my grandfather Thomas Kozlina was in the Civilian Conservation Corp in 1934-35, when he was 21. He was stationed at the Pine Grove Furnace CCC Camp No. 51 in Cumberland County, from Fall 1934-March 1935. He was a member of 329 Company, which worked on state forest projects.

Today, I received a stack of photos from my Mom's cousin Marlene in Pennsylvania, which included several never-before-seen photos of Grandpa's time in the CCC. She had discovered them in an old photo album full of family photos.

Over the next few weeks, I'll be scanning and sharing more photos, but for today, here are photos of Thomas Kozlina from the Civilian Conservation Corps.

Wielding tools of the trade in the state forest CCC camp.

Posing in the snow and sun.

Horseplay during down time.

Thomas Kozlina  (2nd from right), with other members of 329 Co.
  

Two formal photos in front of camp headquarters perhaps?


Until next time...

Special thanks to Cousins Marlene who provided the photos and Cousin Joe who supplied notes on the photos. Thank you for helping preserve our family history.

 

Subscribe to Leaves on the Tree to receive new blog posts by email. Click the green Subscribe button above.

 

NOTES

Various photos of Thomas J. Kozlina, age 21, Civilian Conservation Corps, 329 Co., unknown photographer, Cumberland County, 1934-35; private collection of N. Casey [address for private use], 2022.


 



Comments