Skip to main content

Featured

From the Archive Closet: A Prayer Card Finds a New Home

Front of the prayer card commemorating Rev. Stephen Blasko's First Mass. It's been a while since I wrote about my ongoing battle with the Archive Closet! A tiny bit of good news: I have found a home for one artifact. I have many religious cards and books that belonged to my mother, grandmother, and great-grandparents. I've written previously about saving some of my grandmother Margaret Simonik Kozlina's prayer cards to Find a Grave and the FamilySearch Family Tree, and about her cathechism booklet .   I recently came across a different sort of card that belonged to Grandma. It was written in Slovak and had the name Štefan J. Blaško on it. I translated it using the Deepl translation tool: A prayer to the Lord of the priests: Praise and exalt him forever   Dan: 3:84 In Memory of My First Solemn Mass at St. John the Baptist Church in Campbell, Ohio April 28, 1935 Rev.  Štefan  J. Bla š ko Ordained a priest April 23, 1935 “O Jesus, accept this as a sign of my...

Thanksiving, Kid Style


Our Thanksgivings have been a bit different the past few years. Our kids have gotten older and live out of state. This year, like last, we will be apart, and our celebration will be small and intimate...just me, the Hubs, his dad, and a friend.

But I do have several tangible reminders of the kids. Each year, these creations come out with our small set of Thanksgiving decorations. They still bring a smile and memories of when our now-adult children were wide-eyed kids sitting around the dinner table, sharing their own unique perspective on the holiday.

Two items that show this kids-eye view of Thanksgiving are a poem and a menu, created by our daughter Anne and son James, respectively.

Anne wrote this poem about Thanksgiving when she was probably about 8-9 years old. It still cracks me up!

 

James, not to be outdone, decided to create menus for our Thanksgiving dinner one year. He must have been in about 2nd or 3rd grade, learning to spell big words! I always give kids a lot of credit for attempting to spell phonetically, which just makes total sense if you think about it. 


James' menu cover.

My personal favorite is "krann bery soss."

One more throwback to the kids' childhood Thanksgivings is this little set we call "The Pilgrim People." My mom (Memaw to them) sent the set to the kids one year. I particularly love their bowling-pin-like shapes and especially the turkey's expression. It's just a sweet, little set that makes me smile.
 
 
Though we'll miss the kids this Thanksgiving, we are looking forward to seeing them at Christmas next month, hopefully making new memories while also remembering those childhood holidays past.
 
Happy Thanksgiving!
 
Until next time...

© Nancy Gilbride Casey, 2025. All rights reserved. 

 
BONUS!
 
Here are a couple other Thanksgiving-themed posts I've written in the past few years.
  
 
 
 
 


 

 

Comments

  1. This is all so sweet! The Pilgrim People remind me of Matryoshka nesting dolls. Happy Thanksgiving (a day late!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda! I think so too. You're right, they do look like Matryoshka dolls! Happy Thanksgiving to you as well, (a day late)!

      Delete
  2. Love this; so cute! :) I love the little Pilgrim set your mom got for the kids. It is so unique. Yes, Thanksgiving (and most holidays) can look quite different when the kids grow up; ours do not look the same either. Happy Thansgiving and thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that your Thanksgiving was wonderful, Diane, even if it looked different. The Hubs and I ended up going camping for the weekend at a state park. We've done some hiking and relaxing. It was a busy few weeks for both of us, so nice to get away before the rest of the holiday prep begins! Thanks for reading!

      Delete

Post a Comment