Skip to main content

Featured

Wrapping Up the Becker Research & Sharing Resources

  I'm concluding my research into the Becker/Baker family and their immigration from New York to Canada, and later from Canada to Cleveland. I have made some amazing discoveries along the way, and feel I have a much better handle on when and why they immigrated from place to place. Here are some highlights and important discoveries I made along the way: I located a fabulous original photo of my great-grandfather Edward in a St. Catharines museum! While creating a timeline, I noticed that Joseph Becker's grandfather Peter Schiltz died in St. Catharines, Ontario, not in Sheldon, Wyoming, New York, where he lived. A Belgian cousin contacted me about our common Schiltz ancestors after reading a blog post. I discovered there were two Joseph Beckers in Sheldon, Wyoming, New York, who each had a son named Joseph. While attempting to separate them in land records, I came across the not-my-ancestor Joseph Becker's will in a Wyoming County deed book.  Though my great-great-grandfathe

Plenty


It's family story time again. 

Many years ago, our daughter Anne drew this picture of herself, me, and her brother James. Apparently we were on a grocery shopping trip, and this I know by the thought bubble above my head which reads, "Wow! 5% off those fish fillets!" I am not quite sure if our daughter was dragging me to frozen food section or somewhere else. And poor James, toddling behind, hoping to catch whatever it was I was carrying. After all these years, I still find this image hysterical. 

Five percent off fish fillets. 


What struck me is that this is how our daughter saw me—now permanently enshrined in artwork!

To be fair, I am by nature frugal. That comes from being raised by a mom who had to pinch pennies in a one-income, five-mouths-to-feed family. There were food stamps and government surplus cheese from time to time when she was laid off from her factory job. 

My frugality also comes from watching my grandmother bring goodies to our house from various sales and clearances. A child of immigrants, Grandma knew how to scrimp and save and find a bargain. How to mend things, stretch supplies, and make do. How to find uses for things others might toss aside. These two women, in turn, taught me these essentials. 

I don't regret being that penny-pinching mom our daughter saw. Oh, there were some lean times, and times when my early lack of good money management meant I was raiding the penny pot to make it to payday without completely blowing our household budget, or my husband's patience.

I do cherish this vision of our early family life. It reminds me that while there might have been tight times, we always, always had plenty. Plenty of love. Plenty of laughs. A roof over our heads, warm beds to sleep in, food on the table, clothes on our backs. And so much more.

Then and now, I have two kids I cherish.

And a husband I love.

Plenty.

 

Until next time...Happy Thanksgiving. 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin


 

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. And Happy Thanksgiving (a little late) to you as well. Clearly we are related on my Mom's side - I'd love to know how we are connected. Thanks for reading!

      Delete

Post a Comment