Skip to main content

Featured

Fact or Fiction? More Answers on the Dewitt Blackman Mug Book Bio

In " Fact of Fiction: Dewitt Samuel Blackman and the 1890 Mug Book ," I wrote about my project to see how accurate a county history "mug book" biography was for my husband's great-great-great-grandfather. His biography appeared in the book  Portrait and Biographical Album of Sumner County, Kansas, Containing Full-Page Portraits and Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens of the County , published in 1890. For this just-for-fun project, I entered each fact noted in the bio into a spreadsheet and researched each to determine if they were true, false, or somewhere in between. Some claims were about Dewitt, his wife, and their family, while others involved his parents, his wife's parents, and even some generations further back. There were many claims to document, and I didn't complete the task with that first post. I've continued to research the facts, and here's my latest update. The following facts in the biography are tr...

Plenty


It's family story time again. 

Many years ago, our daughter Anne drew this picture of herself, me, and her brother James. Apparently we were on a grocery shopping trip, and this I know by the thought bubble above my head which reads, "Wow! 5% off those fish fillets!" I am not quite sure if our daughter was dragging me to frozen food section or somewhere else. And poor James, toddling behind, hoping to catch whatever it was I was carrying. After all these years, I still find this image hysterical. 

Five percent off fish fillets. 


What struck me is that this is how our daughter saw me—now permanently enshrined in artwork!

To be fair, I am by nature frugal. That comes from being raised by a mom who had to pinch pennies in a one-income, five-mouths-to-feed family. There were food stamps and government surplus cheese from time to time when she was laid off from her factory job. 

My frugality also comes from watching my grandmother bring goodies to our house from various sales and clearances. A child of immigrants, Grandma knew how to scrimp and save and find a bargain. How to mend things, stretch supplies, and make do. How to find uses for things others might toss aside. These two women, in turn, taught me these essentials. 

I don't regret being that penny-pinching mom our daughter saw. Oh, there were some lean times, and times when my early lack of good money management meant I was raiding the penny pot to make it to payday without completely blowing our household budget, or my husband's patience.

I do cherish this vision of our early family life. It reminds me that while there might have been tight times, we always, always had plenty. Plenty of love. Plenty of laughs. A roof over our heads, warm beds to sleep in, food on the table, clothes on our backs. And so much more.

Then and now, I have two kids I cherish.

And a husband I love.

Plenty.

 

Until next time...Happy Thanksgiving. 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin


 

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. And Happy Thanksgiving (a little late) to you as well. Clearly we are related on my Mom's side - I'd love to know how we are connected. Thanks for reading!

      Delete

Post a Comment