Skip to main content

Featured

Lineage Luck: How Applying to Societies Helps Your Research

I underestimated the value of joining lineage societies until I completed an application for one. I didn't think my ancestors had been in the United States long enough to qualify for any, thinking ancestors would have had to be in the United States for centuries to qualify. I wasn't aware of the wide range of lineage societies available. But once I took that first bite of that lineage society apple—I was hooked. And I see many more benefits now.  First, joining a lineage society requires proper documentation , and not just for an individual's vital stats, like birth, marriage, and death, but also for the connections between those generations that form an unbroken line from the applicant to that specific ancestor or ancestral couple. Second, applying to a society might require acquiring new skills . This is certainly true for me. My very first application, to the First Families of Pennsylvania, required full citations for every fact stated. I had never learned how to do prop

A Library Visit is Never Wasted


A word to the wise researcher: Never pass up an opportunity to visit a genealogical library!

Our son recently relocated near to Independence, Missouri, so on a recent visit, I had to make a stop at the Midwest Genealogy Center (MGC) there. 

MGS is by far the largest genealogy library I have ever visited. I attempted "due diligence" to plan out what I wanted to accomplish. However, even though I looked through MGS's excellent website, finding aids, and catalog, nothing jumped out to me as a "must see" that applied to my ancestors or research. Most of my folk come from Ohio and Pennsylvania. I almost cancelled going, thinking that it would not be worth my time without a plan. I was wrong.

I set aside a few hours, and decided to spend my time browsing through their state collections. When I arrived, the front desk staff gave me a code to sign into a computer if needed. I also received a nice folder with some basic information and genealogy forms. I was sent upstairs to meet with Mary, one of their librarians, who gave me a brief intro and answered my questions. I shared my plan to look through their state collections. Fortunately, she pointed me to a binder with the library locations for collections—some large and some small—from every county in the U.S. I started with that index, noting where on the floor my counties of interest were located. I grabbed a handy "shopping cart" to gather the books and off I went.

In two hours' time I had collected about 20-30 books from various counties. I staked out a table, and began to look through them. I snapped a cell phone photo of any item of interest—careful to also photograph the covers and title pages (so I could create citations if needed). I came away with 51 photos, and had to ask the Hubs to lunch without me so I could get through all the books I had collected! 

Did I find anything earth-shattering? Not really, but I did find three interesting items.

First, in Enumerations of Males in Defiance County, Ohio, 1847-1895, I found an entry for the Hubs' 3rd great-grandfather "Dewit Blockman." Unfortunately, the list was not dated, but it's an interesting find nonetheless. Dewitt's birth year has been estimated as 1830 or so. Since this list includes males over the age of 21, it could mean that Dewitt was born as early as 1826, if enumerated in 1847.1

My second find was in The Heritage of Blue Earth County Minnesota. One brother from my immigrant family, Martin Gilbride, eventually moved from Pennsylvania to Minnesota. One of his sons lived in Blue Earth County, Minnesota. My find referenced a one-room schoolhouse being relocated, "Clarence Lysdale moved the Foster School to his place back of the Gilbride house on Duck Lake for storage..." Duck Lake is nearby Madison Lake, where Martin's wife Mary Newcomb Gilbride passed away at her son's house in 1904.2


In one more volume, Tombstone Inscriptions for the Cemeteries in Noble Township, Defiance County, Ohio, Vol. 5-NB, I found cemetery information for Jim's 4th great-grandfather Sylvester Blackman and his second wife, Mary Bruner Zellers. I noted that Henry Zeller and Elias Zellers were buried on either side of Sylvester and Mary. Henry Zellers was Mary's first husband, and Elias appears to be her son. If ever I have the opportunity to visit the cemetery, the book also provided a cemetery map showing the various sections.3

Entries for Sylvester and Mary Blackman in Tombstone Transcriptions.

Brunersburg Cemetery map provided in Tombstone Transcriptions.

One current genealogical mantra is "It's not all online." The books I found at the MGC are not available anywhere online that I can see. Enumerations and Tombstone Inscriptions were the work of local volunteers who walked cemeteries and transcribed documents well before the advent of the internet and digitization. Thank goodness for institutions like the MGC which are preserving these works.

It's well worth the time to check out your local library's genealogical or special collections to see what treasures you can find. And never pass up the opportunity to visit a large genealogical library like the Midwest Genealogy Center when you are nearby.

Until next time... 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin 

© Nancy Gilbride Casey, 2024. All rights reserved.

 

NOTES

1 Defiance County Genealogical Society, Enumerations of Males in Defiance County, Ohio, 1847-1895, (Defiance, Ohio: 2006), p. 33, Dewit Blockman; citing Midwest Genealogical Center, Independence, Missouri.

2 Julie Hiller Schrader, The Heritage of Blue Earth County Minnesota (Dallas, Tex.: Curtis Media Corp.,1990), p. 575-576, "The One-Room Schoolhouse," submitted by Ted Roemer; citing Midwest Genealogical Center, Independence, Missouri. Also: “Over Century Old,” Mankato (Minnesota) Free Press, 8 April 1904, p. 7, col. 3, death of Mrs. Mary Gilbride; image, Minnesota Digital Newspaper Hub (https://newspapers.mnhs.org/jsp/PsImageViewer.jsp : accessed 24 May 2024); citing Minnesota Historical Society, St. Paul.

3 Defiance County Chapter, Ohio Genealogical Society, Tombstone Inscriptions for the Cemeteries in Noble Township, Defiance County, Ohio, Vol. 5-NB (Defiance, Ohio: 2000). n.p., Brunersburg Cemetery, Zeller and Blackman graves; citing Midwest Genealogical Center, Independence, Missouri. Also: Williams County, Ohio, Record of Marriages, Vol. 1, p. 76, Sylvester Blackmon and Mary Zellers, 19 Aug. 1840; imaged, "Ohio, County Marriages, 1789-2016," FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9392-S59C-8T : accessed 8 September 2024). Also: Find a Grave (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/117617451/mary-ann-blackman : accessed 8 September 2024), "Mary Ann Bruner Blackman" (1814-1890), memorial created by and headstone photo by "Rita Zipfel"; citing Brunersburg Cemetery, Noble Twp., Defiance County, Ohio. Henry Zellers is listed as Mary's spouse, and Elias Zellers as her child in this memorial. Interestingly, photos show that Sylvester's tombstone is joined with Henry Zellers', and Mary is in a different plot.



Comments

  1. What fantastic finds for you! I hope to visit this genealogy center one day, along with the Allen County Public Library and the Mid-Continent Public Library! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Allen County is a dream, or even more dreamy - the Family History Library in Salt Lake! Someday...

      Delete
  2. Nancy - Years ago, the Summit County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society (OGS) visited their library in Bellville OH. I found about t25 books with mention of my main family of interest (maternal grandfather) and one book that mentioned my paternal grandfather. Later I checked the Special Collections at the Akron-Summit County Public Library; they had all 25 books. So my visit did help me. Just not on the family I thought. Check your local library to see what sources it has!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to do more "field trips" with our society members. We have three great libraries in Texas: Dallas County, Clayton in Houston, and the Waco-McLennan library (I'm sure I'm missing some). But I've even found books of interest in my local library that applied to my husband's ancestors. You just never know! Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  3. This sounds like my kind of day. It’s a great idea for anyone interested in their family history to get out and visit a record centre. You had some great finds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I hope to visit there again, as there are some city directories I didn't have time to explore. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. Your day of research sounds fabulous. I've never been to this library but it sounds well worth a visit, considering that my husband's ancestors were Midwesterners. Thank you for sharing your experience and suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend. It's a lovely facility and staff was very helpful for the brief time that I was there. Go!

      Delete
  5. I love cemetery books that list the intern by location rather than alphabetically. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was really informative to have it listed that way. I haven't seen too many cemetery books, but that was really helpful. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  6. Very cool. So happy you had such success! I dream of the day I can visit libraries in London, England, knowing I'll find a ton of information.

    And, as a librarian, I encourage everyone to visit any library near you as you never know what you'll find. One other tip - as well as photographing the cover and title page (TP), also do the page after the TP as it often contains important information about publication date and possibly even the legal name of the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! Foreign libraries. That would be dreamy!

      Thanks for your perspective as a librarian, and that is a great tip. Sometimes I will look a book up on the library's website or on WorldCat if I forget to take a photo of that page to get the publication info, etc.

      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this post! I am also finding myself returning to the library (New York Public Library), particularly for book sources that have not been digitized -- and also to review Interlibrary Loan requests. Next up will be sending some research queries to the librarians (they prefer emailed requests to give them time to research) to send me off in a new direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love working with libraries. Once I discovered how much they can offer in terms of special collections, I regularly use them in my reserach. Since I live in a rural area, I often email librarians (and others). In fact, today I got an obituary from St. Catharines, Ontario, that I requested yesterday. Customer service!

      Delete

Post a Comment