Skip to main content

Featured

An Intriguing Immigration Theory for Joseph Becker

I've been asking the question, "What could have drawn my great-great-great-grandfather Joseph Becker and his family to Port Dalhousie from Sheldon, New York?" I heard back from one Ontario repository that I had inquired with regarding my question.  The Mayholme Foundation staff answered me this week with a simple answer and an interesting theory. The short answer was "employment opportunities." The theory involved a man named Owen McMahon.  Mayholme staff noticed that McMahon lived two doors down from my Joseph Becker in the first Canadian census in which he appears in 1871 in Port Dalhousie. The staff reported that this was significant as apparently Owen McMahon was known to have advertised to bring workers to Port Dalhousie to work in the various businesses in this growing port city. I found that McMahon was named one of the first city councillors in Port Dalhousie when it was incorporated in 1862 . Perhaps McMahon was facilitating immigration to the area in

From the Archives Closet: Piggy Bank


I was back in the archive closet again, and I found my childhood piggy bank. I'm having some fun looking at the coins that I squirreled away there. I am sure I have not looked at the bank's contents in probably 30 years or more.

By the way, I never understood why anyone would smash their piggy bank to get their money out. Someone online said that trying to get the coins out of this particular bank without smashing it was "futile." I spent about 10 minutes jiggling the bank upside down and back and forth to get the coins to fall through the slot. I'm here to tell you that's the only way I ever got the coins out. Break the bank? Never!

The grand total in the bank? $1.40! (Minus some Canadian coins.)

The bank itself was made by Anchor Hocking, perhaps in the 1950s or 1960s. I believe that my two brothers and I each got one of these banks sometime in the 1960s or 1970s, though I can't remember who gifted them to us. The piggy has a pebbly texture and it's an iridescent amber color.

But back to the goods! What was in the bank?

First, there were 24 wheat pennies. What are those you say? 

"Wheat pennies refer specifically to Lincoln Cents produced from 1909 to 1958. The obverse featured the Lincoln head design, still present in the one-cent coins minted today, but the reverse portrayed wheat stalks, hence the moniker."1

Some of my wheat penny collection.

I recall hearing that wheat pennies were "old" and so I do remember trying to keep those as a kid. There were far more in the bank than I thought there would be. The oldest is from 1939, the newest from 1958. They show a remarkable range of coloration and wear. Each looks like a little masterpiece under magnification.

I have one well-worn Liberty nickel—the oldest coin in my little collection—from 1906. In it's current condition, it's probably worth about $2.



And there is a neat little sampling of Canadian coins which show three different monarchs:

A 1929 penny showing King George V...


A 1942 penny showing King George VI...


And two cents showing Queen Elizabeth...one from 1956 where she wears a laurel in her hair, and one from 1987 shows a more mature Elizabeth wearing a crown. 


I actually love the flip side of these pennies more, with their deeply-etched maple leaf design, symbol of Canada.

The rest of the collection were unremarkable pennies, nickels, and dimes. The oldest amongst the other coins was a penny from 1961, the year I was born. I noticed how the coins were mostly from the 1970s-80s, then it struck me that this bank got put away after I moved out of my childhood home, and then on to New York, so it's like a tiny time capsule.

The piggy bank itself seems to be the most valuable item in the collection, selling for about $25 on eBay!

Oink!

Until next time... 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin  

© Nancy Gilbride Casey, 2024. All rights reserved.

 

NOTES

1 Michael Dinich, SD Bullion (https://sdbullion.com/blog/valuable-wheat-pennies : accessed 19 February 2024), "What is a Wheat Penny and How Much Are They Worth," last updated 26 July 2022.



Comments

  1. How fun! I had the same, exact, piggy bank! Mine had many of the same coins as well, minus the pennies with King George V and King George VI! I collected coins and stamps as a kid, but I was a huge penny collector! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it pretty crazy how many people had these. And here I thought I was special. LOL!! I really have no idea how I got the Canadian coins unless they were just passed off as U.S. coins at some point and I didn't notice.

      Thanks for reading.

      Delete

Post a Comment