Skip to main content

Featured

Gilbride or Gallagher: Which Michael is Buried in Sacramento?

I'm taking on a little challenge this week to hopefully correct a mistake 138-years in the making. It involves a cemetery record in which the wrong surname was recorded. Was it Michael Gilbride or Michael Gallagher who was interred at St. Joseph Cemetery in Sacramento? (You may remember my posts about Michael Gilbride published in fall 2022, and how I originally discovered him, his family's move to Lowell, Massachusetts, and more. To catch up, start here:  Dear Sir: How I Found My Civil War Veteran, Michael Gilbride .) I can make a compelling case that the man was Michael Gilbride, who is a third great-granduncle, and the son of my immigrant ancestor James Gilbride (1874-1872) and his wife Mary Catherine Hart Gilbride (1807-1855). Why is this important? Michael was a Civil War veteran, who served in the 52nd Pennsylvania, Co. H. By the time he lived in Sacramento, he was indigent. In 1884, he applied for a Civil War pension, and was still fighting for it in 1886, when he died.

CATHERINE RYAN


31 Days of Writing Family History Challenge

January 17, 2022:   Paternal Great, Great Grandmother #1  - Catherine Ryan Gilbride (Abt. 1855-1881)


by Nancy Gilbride Casey

This is the one that is nearest to my heart. If you have read my blog for any amount of time, or know me, you know that my quest for my second great grandmother Catherine Ryan has been an ongoing one—filled with mystery and discovered tragedy. Hers is the story that compels me to keep researching, to discover where she came from, and the reasons for her sad life.

I have written many times about Catherine: how I discovered what had become of her after she disappeared from her husband and son by 1880; about the trip I took with a cousin to Scranton, Pa., and with help of cemetery staff visited her unmarked gravesite. In another post, I imagined a conversation I might have with her if I could travel back in time and visit her at Danville Insane Asylum.

The stumbling blocks to revealing the rest of Catherine's story are a few:

  • As she died so young, she left few records behind with which to reconstruct her life.
  • Witnesses and sponsors named in records I do have appear more connected with her husband Michael than with her. For example, the witnesses to her marriage appear to be a friend of Micahel's and his fiance.
  • To date, no DNA evidence I have has revealed other matches through which I might discover Catherine's parents. All my matches so far identified within our Gilbride line connect back to Michael Gilbride, his parents or grandparents. I would need to identify DNA matches which connect one generation further back in the Ryan line...perhaps to siblings Catherine might have had which might lead to her parents. This strategy too is difficult: in many cases surnames will have changed by marriages over time, and I may not immediately recognize connections.  I am regrouping in my mind on next steps in that journey.

In the meantime, I offer these past blog posts which tell Catherine's story, and how I have gone about finding her.

What Would You Tell Me Catherine? (fictionalized conversation with Catherine)

Record Not Found Online (includes transcription of Catherine's patient record).

The Search for Catherine Ryan Gilbride (research methodology)

Out of Place  (research methodology)


NOTES

Image: Mary Cassatt, "Mother and Child," abt. 1906, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, NY; image, Wikimedia Commons (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mother_and_Child_MET_246188.jpg : accessed 17 January 2020); used under CC0 1.0 Universal (CC0 1.0), Public Domain Dedication.


 

Comments