Skip to main content

Featured

Access Some Articles Directly from PERSI for Free

I just noticed a neat addition to the Allen County Public Library's Periodical Source Index —aka PERSI. PERSI is a subject index for genealogy and local history periodicals, produced by the ACPL staff. The valuable resource provides more than 3.2 million citations to readily-available periodical sources. ACPL has begun adding external links to their PERSI search results for some of over 10,000 periodicals in the index. The little blue icon next to the article will allow users to link directly to their article of interest for free.   This does not apply to every article in the PERSI index, however. According to Genealogy Center staff, they are gradually adding the external links to entries if they find a periodical issue that is online or copyright clear, so users can access those issues for free rather than order the article from ACPL. Researchers will still need to order articles which are under copyright from ACPL as in the past.   Trying it Out  I tried the new ...

Next Steps in Researching Jane Darragh's Diagnosis

Image by rawpixel, edited by author.


Last week I shared the beginnings of my research into Maria Jane Darragh's mental illness diagnosis of "acute mania." (If you haven't read that post, catch up here.)

 Here's what I've been working on since then.


Research Planning

Given what I already know about Jane, I already have a good set of questions that I hope to answer about her acute mania diagnosis.
 

Her Life in St. Catharines, Ontario

  • What would life have been like for Jane in St. Catharines?
  • What was St. Catharines like at the time, it's population, trade, social and religious environment?
  • What was Jane's married life like?
  • What was it like raising her children in that time?


Acute mania

  • What was the medical understanding of acute mania in the late 19th century?
  • What were the symptoms, how was it diagnosed, how was it treated at that time?
  • How does one die from acute mania?
  • Could Jane have been misdiagnosed? What other conditions could have been confused with acute mania?
  • How often was death attributed to mental illness at the time in St. Catharines?


Physicians in St. Catharines

  • Who were the medical professionals in the area at the time?
  • Who was Dr. John Sheahan, who signed her death certificate, and did he have the skills to handle Jane’s case?
  • What other doctors or facilities might have been available to treat Jane?


Social View of Mental Illnesses in late 19th century

  • Would anyone except Jane’s family have been aware of her condition? How did her family react?
  • What social stigma might Jane have faced because of her illness?
  • Jane was Catholic. How did the Catholic church look upon mental illness?



Identified Sources


Since I've previously researched Jane, a next steps is to review all my reports, logs, locality guide, files, and emails, to make sure to gather any resources I've already found that could help with this research. I don't want to retrace my steps or use a resource I've already looked at before.

Locality research is a key step in any research in order to understand the area and to discover what resources are available. I had previously developed an Ontario, Canada, locality guide for past projects. It was my starting point for identifying resources I could use for this research.

Here are the resources I plan to focus on to find answers to my questions:

City and county histories and gazetteers will give historical background of St. Catharines community during Jane's life.


Examples: 

  • Smith's Canadian Gazetteer, 1849
  • Ontario, Canada Land Gazetteer, 1875-1881


City directories, medical directories, newspapers, local museums, and county histories may contain information on doctors and medical facilities in St. Catharines.


Examples:  

  • Directory of St Catharines, Thorold, Merritton and Port Dalhousie, 1898
  • Vernon’s City of St. Catharines and Thorold, Ontario, Directory – 1904-1906


This St. Catharines city directory could provide clues to the physicians available to Jane.


Historical medical journals and books will offer information about acute mania, and its symptoms, treatments, and prognosis.


Examples: 

  • John Bassett Chapin, A Compendium of Insanity (Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, 1898)
  • A Practical Manual of Insanity for the Medical Student and General Practitioner (Philadelphia and London: W.B. Saunders & Co., 1902)
  • Daniel Clark, M.D., Mental Diseases: A Synopsis of Twelve Lectures Delivered at the Hospital for the Insane, Toronto, to the Graduating Medical Classes (Toronto: William Briggs, 1895)

The 1898 book A Compendium of Insanity included descriptions of various mental illnesses as well as several photographs of individuals with the disorders.

Death and/or burial records could reveal occurrences of this diagnosis as a cause of death in the area. St. Catharines newspapers could record instances of acute mania being mentioned.


Examples:  

  • Ontario, Canada, Deaths, 1869-1938, 1943-1944, and Deaths Overseas, 1939-1947, Ancestry.com
  • The Standard, Newspapers.com
  • The Twice a Week Standard, Newspapers.com


With the sources in place, now I'm ready to research. I'll begin reporting my findings in next week's post.

Until next time...

© Nancy Gilbride Casey, 2026. All rights reserved. 


Comments

  1. I had a mother and daughter in an insane asylum because they were addicted to morphine. They were being treated with morphine for their asthma. They used morphine for postpartum depression too. It would be good to find the hospital records or there might be a note on a death record.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment