Skip to main content

Featured

Wrapping Up the Becker Research & Sharing Resources

  I'm concluding my research into the Becker/Baker family and their immigration from New York to Canada, and later from Canada to Cleveland. I have made some amazing discoveries along the way, and feel I have a much better handle on when and why they immigrated from place to place. Here are some highlights and important discoveries I made along the way: I located a fabulous original photo of my great-grandfather Edward in a St. Catharines museum! While creating a timeline, I noticed that Joseph Becker's grandfather Peter Schiltz died in St. Catharines, Ontario, not in Sheldon, Wyoming, New York, where he lived. A Belgian cousin contacted me about our common Schiltz ancestors after reading a blog post. I discovered there were two Joseph Beckers in Sheldon, Wyoming, New York, who each had a son named Joseph. While attempting to separate them in land records, I came across the not-my-ancestor Joseph Becker's will in a Wyoming County deed book.  Though my great-great-grandfathe

Women's History Month: Heirloom Spotlight - First Communion Prayer Book


March is Women's History Month, so I'm looking at items owned, used, or made by some of my female ancestors, as well as my memories connected with them.

Another of my treasured possessions is this book of prayers titled God's Child: A Prayer Book for Children, which my mother Anna Margaret Kozlina Gilbride (1937-2010) received on her First Communion day, 6 May 1945, when she was seven years old. Mom is shown with this book in her hand in photos marking the occasion, below.

 

Mom's First Communion portraits from 1945.


First Communion is the third sacrament of seven Catholic sacraments, following Baptism and First Confession (now known as Reconciliation). When a child receives their First Communion at a special Mass, they are receiving the body and blood of Jesus Christ according to Catholic teaching. 

First Communion is a momentous occasion in a Catholic child's life, with dozens of children participating. Girl communicants would wear white dresses and veils, and boys would wear suits and ties. Families would gather to witness the event, usually held in the spring. Mass was usually followed by a family gathering when gifts are given to the communicant. Mom made her First Communion at St. Jerome Church in the Collinwood neighborhood in Cleveland.

St. Jerome Catholic Church in Cleveland, where Mom made her First Communion.

I think that Mom received this book from her mother Margaret Simonik Kozlina (1913-1988). Grandma's handwriting inside notes the date of Mom's Communion and her later Confirmation—another Catholic sacrament—on 8 December 1948. Inside, instructions were written in Grandma's hand that if the book was lost it was to be returned to Mom or her elementary school, St. Jerome's Catholic School, in Cleveland, Ohio.

This book includes various prayers and lessons geared to a child about the Catholic faith and the sacraments. It has a shiny, hard cover made of celluloid according to some online sources I found for the same book. These were popular keepsake books for religious occasions. The outside cover shows a young Jesus being adored by five praying children. The inside of the book includes a beautiful gold crucifix, outlined in gold on a white background in a shadowbox-type setting. Above the crucifix is the chalice and communion host, symbolizing Holy Communion. I'm amazed that the crucifix has not fallen out of the book after all these years. 

 

The inside front cover includes a gold crucifix.


The 14 Stations of the Cross are illustrated in color in the prayer book.

Mom had a large collection of prayer books, gathered from her childhood onward. Her faith was a large part of her life and something that sustained her in her darkest times. I'm glad that I have this well-worn heirloom to remind me of her faith.

Until next time...

Follow my blog with Bloglovin 

© Nancy Gilbride Casey, 2024. All rights reserved.









Church image: Thomas Lewis, St. Jerome Catholic Church, no date; digital image, Cleveland Memory (https://clevelandmemory.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/sacred/id/29/rec/2 : accessed 12 March 2024); citing Cleveland Sacred Landmarks Collection, Cleveland State University, Michael Schwartz Library, Special Collections.

Comments

  1. Heirlooms like your book are wonderful in the connections they give us to our ancestors. Certainly that is a treasured item for you. Your blog is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Karen. I have some great religious heirlooms, including my grandmother's original baptismal certificate in Slovak from 1913, and some prayer books in Slovak that my great-grandmother had.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful heirloom to have! It's in great condition! I'm surprised the crucifix is still attached as well. Great background story and a little lesson in Catholic communions. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty special. I'm glad that the background helped you understand it a bit better. I had several folks post photos of their own books like this on my personal Facebook page after seeing that post. They were popular!

      Delete

Post a Comment