Skip to main content

Featured

Wrapping Up the Becker Research & Sharing Resources

  I'm concluding my research into the Becker/Baker family and their immigration from New York to Canada, and later from Canada to Cleveland. I have made some amazing discoveries along the way, and feel I have a much better handle on when and why they immigrated from place to place. Here are some highlights and important discoveries I made along the way: I located a fabulous original photo of my great-grandfather Edward in a St. Catharines museum! While creating a timeline, I noticed that Joseph Becker's grandfather Peter Schiltz died in St. Catharines, Ontario, not in Sheldon, Wyoming, New York, where he lived. A Belgian cousin contacted me about our common Schiltz ancestors after reading a blog post. I discovered there were two Joseph Beckers in Sheldon, Wyoming, New York, who each had a son named Joseph. While attempting to separate them in land records, I came across the not-my-ancestor Joseph Becker's will in a Wyoming County deed book.  Though my great-great-grandfathe

Follow Along with the 2024 14-Day Research Like a Pro Challenge

Image by Pixabay
 

Each year, the authors of the Research Like a Pro books, blog, and podcast challenge family history researchers to complete a 14-day project using the Research Like a Pro (RLP) method. The 2024 Challenge began on Monday, 22 January, and I'm taking part once more.

For last year's 14-day challenge, I determined the birth date of my husband's 3x GGM Elizabeth Kite. Read about that project beginning HERE.

This year, I've decided to revisit a "brick wall" in my Ryan line; I don't know the parents or birthplace of my 2x great grandmother Catherine Ryan.

The seven steps of the RLP method have been split out over 14 days for the challenge. I'll report on my steps along the way.

 

Jan. 22—Research Question

To begin a project, the RLP method asks "What question do you have about an ancestor's life that you’d like to discover?" You do this by reviewing your family tree to determine what info is still missing or not documented fully.

In this case, I know a lot about Catherine Ryan already. She's been the topic of ongoing research over the past several years, and I know the details of her life from the time of her marriage in 1875 until her death in 1881. However, I still haven't determined who her parents were, or whether she was born in Ireland or Pennsylvania—information in various sources conflict. 

In a past project, I found a Catherine Ryan living with a family in the right time and place, and of the right age, to be my ancestor. Is this my Catherine's correct family?

Here's my overall objective:

Objective: Who were the parents of Catherine Ryan who married Michael Gilbride in Scranton, Luzerne, Pennsylvania, on 2 February 1875? Catherine was born in either Ireland or Pennsylvania in about 1855, and died on 17 February 1881 at Danville, Montour, Pennsylvania.

For this project, I am honing in on this specific research question about the woman I identified in my earlier research:

Research question:
 Who was family of Catherine Ryan, the daughter of William Ryan and his wife Honoria? Catherine was born in Scranton, Luzerne, Pennsylvania, on 10 June 1856. This is a question of identity.

 

Jan. 23—Key Identifiers 

It's important to clearly identify a research subject, and even more so in this case, as I'm working on two women named Catherine Ryan who lived in the same place around the same time. Adding key identifiers so that I know exactly who I am researching is important. 

The key identifiers which I folded into my objective are:

  • the name of my ancestor Catherine's spouse
  • their marriage date and place
  • her possible birthplaces
  • death date and location

The key identifiers I included in my research question are:

  • her parents' names
  • her birth date and place

I also noted that I am looking to more fully identify my research subject by stating that this is a "question of identity." I'm looking to document my research subject's family members as a way to differentiate her identity from my Catherine—though those family members could potentially also be my ancestor's family.

Next week, I'll report on Days 3-9, involving analyzing sources, locality research, and research planning. 

Until next time...

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

© Nancy Gilbride Casey, 2024. All rights reserved. 




Comments