Skip to main content

Featured

Wrapping Up the Becker Research & Sharing Resources

  I'm concluding my research into the Becker/Baker family and their immigration from New York to Canada, and later from Canada to Cleveland. I have made some amazing discoveries along the way, and feel I have a much better handle on when and why they immigrated from place to place. Here are some highlights and important discoveries I made along the way: I located a fabulous original photo of my great-grandfather Edward in a St. Catharines museum! While creating a timeline, I noticed that Joseph Becker's grandfather Peter Schiltz died in St. Catharines, Ontario, not in Sheldon, Wyoming, New York, where he lived. A Belgian cousin contacted me about our common Schiltz ancestors after reading a blog post. I discovered there were two Joseph Beckers in Sheldon, Wyoming, New York, who each had a son named Joseph. While attempting to separate them in land records, I came across the not-my-ancestor Joseph Becker's will in a Wyoming County deed book.  Though my great-great-grandfathe

Pioneers of the Twin Territories


Celebrating the news this week that Jim's lineage to one set of 3x great grandparents was confirmed for First Families of the Twin Territories by the Oklahoma Genealogical Society. The program is open to anyone who can document descent from an ancestor who lived in Oklahoma Territory or Indian Territory prior to Oklahoma's November 1907 statehood.

Dewitt Samuel Blackman and Elizabeth Butler Blackman were present on 7 September 1892 in Section 6, Township 18 North, Range 3 West, Logan County, in Oklahoma Territory. 

I have written about this couple several times, and they are one of my favorite sets of Jim's ancestors. First, because they did so much! Dewitt was born in New York, Elizabeth in Ohio. Eventually Dewitt moved to Ohio where the couple married. Dewitt served in the Civil War, in Co. B, 47th Ohio Infantry. By 1880, the couple established a farm in Sumner Co., Kansas, and then moved on to Oklahoma in 1892, where they were homesteaders. Dewitt died prior to proving the patent, but in 1899 Elizabeth finished what he started.

 


The second reason I love them? Their activities left numerous records: a lengthy Civil War pension file, including both Dewitt's invalid claim, and Elizabeth's widow's claim; a homestead application file detailing improvements, Dewitt's death, and Elizabeth's final proof; even a two-page entry on Dewitt in a Kansas county history. It's alot easier to put together a puzzle when you have a lot of pieces, and the Blackmans certainly had plenty. 

Putting this lineage application together has long been on my genealogical checklist. But more than that, I'm happy to honor this terrific couple and celebrate their achievements.

Until next time...

 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

 

Read more about Dewitt Samuel Blackman and Elizabeth Butler Blackman:

Proving the Blackman Homestead, Logan, Oklahoma Territory

What is a Cyclone Cave? 

Where Was Dewitt Samuel Blackman Born? 

From the Pages of a Book (Kansas County History) 

An 1800s Photographic Surprise (a serendipitous discovery of a photo of Elizabeth)

Timelines & ThruLines: Untangling Two Elizabeth Butlers in Ohio

 

 


Comments

  1. Congratulations! This kind of validation of your research is so rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. I always swear I'm not doing another one...until I do!

      Delete
  2. Congrats and how fortunate this ancestor had a Civil War file. Always so much information there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had a great file. Got his service record as well, which showed his place of birth! Lucky!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on getting everything needed for your lineage app! How fun! I have yet to have the time to apply to any. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ever-so-slightly addicting. I've done a few: Mayflower, Associated Daughters of Early American Witches, First Families of Pennsylvania...it's nice to go so deep back, and I love uncovering lineages that my family had no idea about.

      Delete

Post a Comment