Featured
In " Fact of Fiction: Dewitt Samuel Blackman and the 1890 Mug Book ," I wrote about my project to see how accurate a county history "mug book" biography was for my husband's great-great-great-grandfather. His biography appeared in the book Portrait and Biographical Album of Sumner County, Kansas, Containing Full-Page Portraits and Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens of the County , published in 1890. For this just-for-fun project, I entered each fact noted in the bio into a spreadsheet and researched each to determine if they were true, false, or somewhere in between. Some claims were about Dewitt, his wife, and their family, while others involved his parents, his wife's parents, and even some generations further back. There were many claims to document, and I didn't complete the task with that first post. I've continued to research the facts, and here's my latest update. The following facts in the biography are tr...
GENEALOGY CHALLENGE 2021 - Newspaper Clipping II
GENEALOGY CHALLENGE 2021
Newspaper Clipping II - January 29th entry of a 31-day challenge to post a document, photo or artifact on social media every day in January.
by Nancy Gilbride Casey
This clipping is a bit of a mystery, as it was loose in a box of my Mom's things. I don't have a date or a newspaper. I'm assuming that it is from The Cleveland Press, as they are listed as a sponsor of this Folk Festival in which my Mom, Anna Margaret "Margie" Kozlina Gilbride, was performing. She is shown in the small trio to the right, on the left side.
Mom participated in Croatian folk dance for several years, and I'm lucky enough to have several great photos of her in her costumes. I never saw any of these costumes in person, so they must have belonged to the troupes and not to her personally.
I know that Mom went on at least one tour with a folk troupe, as I have a great letter from her to her family describing the hotel she was staying in. (See Mom's Big Trip.)
I plan to do some further research to date this article and find out more about the folk festival event. Look for updates in a future post.

Comments
Post a Comment