Skip to main content

Featured

Heirloom Investigation: Where Did This Cutlery Set Come From? Part 2

I'm on a quest to find out more about a cutlery set that was recently given to me. Last week, we looked at the objects themselves and described them. I shared that my father-in-law recalled his grandmother used the set in her home, and that it had been passed on from his grandmother to his mother, and then to him. And I had some theories. This week, I'm sharing what I've found out about the set by following the clues. I researched in newspapers, a Sears catalog, various historical websites, and more. What did I find out?    Wyoming Cutlery Co., Formerly Sanson Cutlery Co. A newspaper notice announced the name change of the Sanson Cutlery Company of Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, to the Wyoming Cutlery Co ., in December 1895. A brief history of the Sanson Cutlery Co. appearing in another newspaper in December 1894 noted that the company had started in June 1887 and was established on Horton Street in Wilkes-Barre. 1 The Wyoming Cutlery Company began as Sanson Cutlery Company in...

GENEALOGY CHALLENGE 2021 - Newspaper Clipping II

GENEALOGY CHALLENGE 2021

Newspaper Clipping II -  January 29th entry of a 31-day challenge to post a document, photo or artifact on social media every day in January.  

by Nancy Gilbride Casey

 



This clipping is a bit of a mystery, as it was loose in a box of my Mom's things. I don't have a date or a newspaper. I'm assuming that it is from The Cleveland Press, as they are listed as a sponsor of this Folk Festival in which my Mom, Anna Margaret "Margie" Kozlina Gilbride, was performing. She is shown in the small trio to the right, on the left side. 

Mom participated in Croatian folk dance for several years, and I'm lucky enough to have several great photos of her in her costumes. I never saw any of these costumes in person, so they must have belonged to the troupes and not to her personally.

I know that Mom went on at least one tour with a folk troupe, as I have a great letter from her to her family describing the hotel she was staying in. (See Mom's Big Trip.)

I plan to do some further research to date this article and find out more about the folk festival event. Look for updates in a future post.


Comments