Skip to main content

Featured

Fact or Fiction? More Answers on the Dewitt Blackman Mug Book Bio

In " Fact of Fiction: Dewitt Samuel Blackman and the 1890 Mug Book ," I wrote about my project to see how accurate a county history "mug book" biography was for my husband's great-great-great-grandfather. His biography appeared in the book  Portrait and Biographical Album of Sumner County, Kansas, Containing Full-Page Portraits and Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens of the County , published in 1890. For this just-for-fun project, I entered each fact noted in the bio into a spreadsheet and researched each to determine if they were true, false, or somewhere in between. Some claims were about Dewitt, his wife, and their family, while others involved his parents, his wife's parents, and even some generations further back. There were many claims to document, and I didn't complete the task with that first post. I've continued to research the facts, and here's my latest update. The following facts in the biography are tr...

GENEALOGY CHALLENGE 2021 - Birth Record

By Nancy Gilbride Casey
 

GENEALOGY CHALLENGE JANUARY 2021 - So what's the new year without a new genealogy challenge, right? Here's my first entry of a 31-day challenge to post on social media, a document, photo or other piece every day of January. 
 
January 1 - BIRTH RECORD
 
This is the birth/baptismal record of my great grandmother Anna Tatar, who was born on 24 April 1883 in Forbasz, and baptized on 26 April, in Gňazda, Stará Ľubovňa, Slovakia.
 

From left to right, the columns read:
 
Number (of record) - 27
Year and Day Born - 1883 (at top of page), 24 April
Year and Day Baptized - 1883, 26 April
Name - Anna
Sex - Female
Legitimate/Illegitimate - Legitimate
Name of Parents/religion - Michael Tatar and Maria Haneczak, r.c. (Roman Catholic)
Address - Forbasz No. 42
Name of Godparents/religion - Stephen Kiliany and wife Victoria
Baptized by - Idem (meaning "the same") priest name at top of column looks like Marenscak
 

Last column has notes or "observations" - this note indicates that an extract of her baptismal record was prepared on 5 January 1900; I've been told this was often done prior to immigration or marriage. Anna married John Simonik on 13 Nov. 1901 and they immigrated sometime in 1901-1902 to Pennsylvania. 
 
NEXT UP: Death Record 
 
 
 
1 Matrica Baptisatorum, 1880-1904, p. 29, Birth and baptism of Anna Tatar, 24/26 April 1883; "Slovakia Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GR79-937L : accessed 3 Jan. 2021), Roman Catholic (Rímsko-katolícká cirkev) > Stará Ľubovňa > Gňazdá > image 669 of 726; citing state regional archives, Slovakia.

Comments

  1. A friend who was helping me translate birth records in Slovak explained the legitimate/illegitimate notation in church records. He said it refers to the father’s membership in the church. If the father did not attend or was not himself baptized, the child was recorded as illegitimate. That notation should not be interpreted as a child not recognized or living without a father. The parents may be in a civil marriage. I thought I’d pass that on in case it helps you in the future. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello "Unknown!" Hope you are well. Thanks for reading and responding with your info. I had not heard this, although I had heard that illegitimate might also mean the father had passed away. Makes me wonder why they did that. I appreciate the tip, it will come in handy in future.

      Delete

Post a Comment