Skip to main content

Featured

Wrapping Up the Becker Research & Sharing Resources

  I'm concluding my research into the Becker/Baker family and their immigration from New York to Canada, and later from Canada to Cleveland. I have made some amazing discoveries along the way, and feel I have a much better handle on when and why they immigrated from place to place. Here are some highlights and important discoveries I made along the way: I located a fabulous original photo of my great-grandfather Edward in a St. Catharines museum! While creating a timeline, I noticed that Joseph Becker's grandfather Peter Schiltz died in St. Catharines, Ontario, not in Sheldon, Wyoming, New York, where he lived. A Belgian cousin contacted me about our common Schiltz ancestors after reading a blog post. I discovered there were two Joseph Beckers in Sheldon, Wyoming, New York, who each had a son named Joseph. While attempting to separate them in land records, I came across the not-my-ancestor Joseph Becker's will in a Wyoming County deed book.  Though my great-great-grandfathe

Road Trip to Dublin...Texas, That Is

Stretch of Stephen land in Dublin, Erath County, Texas.
Since Jim and I were married, I've heard talk of his family being the "founders of Stephenville, TX." We took a quick look at Stephenville in 2008, while camping at a nearby state park with the kids. At the time, they were more interested in dinosaur tracks at nearby Dinosaur Valley State Park in Glen Rose, Texas!  The family history story got put on the back burner for a while.

Fast forward to 2018, and I've learned much, much more about the Stephen family. And indeed, John Miller Stephen donated the land for the county courthouse, building lots and churches, stipulating that the town would be named Stephenville. In January of 1856, the State of Texas agreed, and while creating Erath County, named Stephenville as its county seat. John M. Stephen, along with his brother William Franklin Stephen, would be among those who settled and tamed the land around them.

Jim is the great, great, great grandson of William F. Stephen, who actually settled nearer to Dublin, Texas -- about 15 miles southwest of Stephenville -- where he was a rancher and grew corn and cotton.

In the course of my research, I ran across an newspaper article about the Stephen family farm being granted Century Farm status by the Texas Department of Agriculture's Family Land Heritage Program in 1975, for 100 years of continuous operation and ownership by the same family. The owners were honored with these words on a commemorative certificate:

For a century or more of continuous ownership and operation as a family agricultural enterprise. to the dedication and perseverance of the founders and heirs of these lands, we owe the basic wealth of Texas.

An inquiry to the Erath County Genealogy Society confirmed that about 130 acres are still owned and farmed by a descendant of this same Stephen family to this day - a span now lasting 170 years.

Could we see it?

It was road trip time! 

With the help of a Dublin genealogist Janella Hendon, Jim and I were shown the land where his forefather farmed, and nearby Barbee Cemetery, where many of his ancestors lay. 


Jim and the rock wall constructed on the boundary of the Stephen property in the mid-1800's; built by hand, and still standing the test of Texas time.
We were able to touch the rock wall constructed between 1850 and 1860 around the original "1 league and 1 labor" (about 4,600 acres), of land which comprised the Stephen farm at the time. 

We got a sense of the dry, dusty, hot work farming and ranching must have been in the mid-1800s, as we endured near-100 degree heat while walking the cemetery in search of family graves.
Graves of Jim's great, great, great grandparents: Mary C. Howard Stephen, and W.F. Stephen, at Barbee Cemetery.

Headstone of Elizabeth Kite Stephen, Jim's 3x great grandmother, and wife of James Howard Stephen, William's son. Also buried here are two of their children, Minnie May Stephen, who died in infancy, and James W. Stephen who died at 17.

Another of Jim's 3x great grandparent's graves: Harriett Kite, Elizabeth Kite Stephen's mother.

It was fascinating glimpse the places Jim's ancestors called home and where they were laid to rest. I must admit to feeling very proud that our children have this place--Dublin, Texas--as part of their heritage.


Comments

  1. My great grandmother is Alma L. Stephen (Gee). Her father was Charles Edmund Stephen. I am interested in learning more about his father William F. Stephen and would appreciate being directed towards some online sources. Thank you in advance. My great grandma Mama Dot, Alma L. Stephen (Gee) is in the Barbee Cemetery and her daughter, my grandma, Dorothy Jo Gee (Jurney) is also there. I have been told that William F. was a captain in the Texas Rangers and fought in the Texas Revolution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I am sorry I am just now seeing this! Not sure why I didn't get any notification of your comment, sorry about that. It's been a bit since I have done anything on this line, so please let me look back at my materials and get back with you. This means that you and my husband are distantly related! That's exciting. Are you in Texas? Feel free to email me directly at ngcintx@gmail.com. Thanks for reading & commenting.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I really enjoyed reading about your road-trip. I have yet to get up there to do my own. My father was James Howard Stephen (JH), son of Walter Franklin Stephen son of James Howard Stephen son of William Franklin Stephen. My dad knew him as Uncle Billy. So that makes WF Stephen my Great Great Grandfather, right? I am just starting to put all of the family pieces together once & for all. I have fragments of info like a poor copy of James Howard's Will dated 1857, an article from The Dublin Progress newspaper "Biography of a pioneer Texan" about W F Stephen & a few other bits & pieces. I am trying to get it all organized, scanned & documented. I would love to know what you can add to my collection & of course I can share any of my stuff.
    Regards,
    James Kevin Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello James, OMGosh, I thought you messaged me on Messenger and have been searching for you high and low on that! Whoops!

      Thank you for your kind words. I loved going down the Dublin. It was really the first "research" trip I had taken and to think my husband recommended it? I'm the genealogy nut, not him, but I'm slowly "reeling him in!" LOL.

      Yes, William Franklin Stephen would be your 2X GGF:
      William F. Stephen > James Howard Stephen > Walter Franklin Stephen > James Howard Stephen > You.
      Jim's line is: William F. Stephen > James Howard Stephen > William Roy Stephen > Mary Ollie Stephen > Dessie Evans > Jim.

      He is my Jim's 3X GGF so that makes you 2nd cousins, once removed (2C1R).

      It sounds like you have some wonderful treasures if you have a will, etc. It is a great idea to get them scanned and documented, etc. I have info on William and James Howard Stephen that I can share - the lines diverge after that. I would appreciate anything you have if you want to email it. If you give me your email, I can also send you what I have on those two. I would also recommend that you look at FamilySearch for them, as I believe I have also attached some of their info to their profiles there.

      Was so good to hear from you, thank you for writing. Oh, my email is ngcintx@gmail.com.

      Cheers,
      Nancy

      Delete

Post a Comment