Skip to main content

Featured

Fact or Fiction? More Answers on the Dewitt Blackman Mug Book Bio

In " Fact of Fiction: Dewitt Samuel Blackman and the 1890 Mug Book ," I wrote about my project to see how accurate a county history "mug book" biography was for my husband's great-great-great-grandfather. His biography appeared in the book  Portrait and Biographical Album of Sumner County, Kansas, Containing Full-Page Portraits and Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens of the County , published in 1890. For this just-for-fun project, I entered each fact noted in the bio into a spreadsheet and researched each to determine if they were true, false, or somewhere in between. Some claims were about Dewitt, his wife, and their family, while others involved his parents, his wife's parents, and even some generations further back. There were many claims to document, and I didn't complete the task with that first post. I've continued to research the facts, and here's my latest update. The following facts in the biography are tr...

More Fortunate Finds on Facebook


Were you convinced last week that you should be using Facebook for genealogy? 

If not, I have more success stories to share!

Last year, I wrote "16,000+ Friends: Using Facebook for Genealogy," which appeared in Stirpes, the journal of the Texas State Genealogical Society (Vol. 62, No. 3, September 2023, p. 35-40).

This article details nearly a dozen ways to leverage Facebook to further your family history research,  includes many more examples of Facebook wins I've had over the past several years, and offers instructions on how to get started. Maybe it will give you an idea or two that will be useful to you.

Just click the PDF below to read the article.

I hope this will be a valuable resource. Thanks to the Stirpes editors for permission to share it here.

 

Until next time...

Follow my blog with Bloglovin 

© Nancy Gilbride Casey, 2024. All rights reserved.

Comments

  1. What a great follow up, and article, to last week's post on using Facebook for genealogy research! Fantastic, well planned article that covers all the bases for beginners and will be a tremendous help! Kudos! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Even yesterday I'm having success with a church record I needed. I just never ends if you find the right places to connect with!

      Delete
  2. I loved your story. There are lots of great ways to use Facebook to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've gained so much knowledge and made so many connections for my family tree on Facebook. Great article.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're experience is much like mine. It seems I use it almost every day for something. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. How wonderful the Stirpes editors allowed it to be share more broadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE working with Stirpes! It's fun to work with their team. They allow you to publish articles elsewhere one year after original publication. The journal is a member benefit, hence the embargo. I was just reminded of that and the one year had just passed. Perfect timing!

      Delete
  5. Even for someone who already uses FB for genealogy, your article is full of excellent tips and ideas. TY for sharing and congrats on all the finds using FB!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment