Skip to main content

Featured

Lineage Luck: How Applying to Societies Helps Your Research

I underestimated the value of joining lineage societies until I completed an application for one. I didn't think my ancestors had been in the United States long enough to qualify for any, thinking ancestors would have had to be in the United States for centuries to qualify. I wasn't aware of the wide range of lineage societies available. But once I took that first bite of that lineage society apple—I was hooked. And I see many more benefits now.  First, joining a lineage society requires proper documentation , and not just for an individual's vital stats, like birth, marriage, and death, but also for the connections between those generations that form an unbroken line from the applicant to that specific ancestor or ancestral couple. Second, applying to a society might require acquiring new skills . This is certainly true for me. My very first application, to the First Families of Pennsylvania, required full citations for every fact stated. I had never learned how to do prop

Summertime Storms

Photo gallery: Thunderstorm moves in over Lake Erie | Fox 8 Cleveland WJW 

While I'm on vacation this week, I'm borrowing some writing I've done for our son on my own memories. He gifted me with the book Questions You'll Wish You Asked: A Time Capsule for Mothers and Sons,* by Melissa Pennel, for Mother's Day a few years ago. It's filled with prompts to encourage the recipient to write about their own life experiences. I have been chipping away at the various prompts little by little. Rather than write my responses in the book itself, I've begun a separate, private blog just for him, and I share the post links with him whenever I complete a new post. He also wants a printed version, so at some point I will copy them over into a Publisher document to print. I'm grateful that he wants to know about my early life and events and people that had an impact on me.

Here's this week's prompt: Did you have any irrational childhood fears? How did you get over them?

 

For a long time, I was terrified by storms. I had good reason to be.

Summer was the time of storms in Ohio. They came rolling in off of Lake Erie in the heat of the afternoon, bringing wind and lashing rain, and multiplying the waves beating the shore.

When I was about 8 or 9, there was a terrible July 4th thunderstorm when we lived in Eastlake, Ohio. The storms were so bad there was also a tornado that hit nearby Willoughby. We had been having a BBQ with my Aunt Marian and Uncle Bob, and when they left to go home at the height of the storm I was so scared they would be hurt or killed.

The storm raged for hours, the lightening was fierce, the rain just pummeled our house. My Dad went outside from time to time to scoop up birds which had been blown from the trees and put them in our garage. Dad left the garage door open a crack at the bottom in case they wanted to fly away.

We survived that storm with just lots of standing water in our backyard and leaves, twigs, and small branches everywhere. 

Then, when I was about 12 or 13, and lived in Willowick, we had three big trees in our backyard. Not Texas tall, but Ohio tall - probably 50-60-foot-tall trees. In June of that year one tree next to our garage was struck by lightning and one very large limb crashed down, taking the corner of our garage with it, as well as downing a power line which ran along the back of the yard. The sound of that strike was unbelievably loud. I think my Mom was working the night shift then, and our Grandma was staying with us. About a year later, another lightning strike took another of that tree's large limbs down. 

Several years after that, an epic windstorm took the second of our backyard trees down. I discovered that coming home from a church function after dark, and driving up the driveway wondering what that strange shadow was across the driveway. I came to discover that the large tree in the back right corner of our yard had fallen and completely filled our backyard and fell all the way across our driveway. It took weeks to get it all cleared up.

So, yes, I was scared of storms.

My fear lessened as I got older, I guess because I came to understand that there were precautions to take. And I came to like thunderstorms, especially the beautiful lightning. Little by little I became less afraid of looking at storms or being out in them. One of my favorite memories was of actually going out on a "cliff" in a lakefront community near my house, during a daytime storm and just letting the rain and wind wash over me. It was an amazing feeling. I don't think I was every truly afraid of thunderstorms again....until we moved to Texas! 


Until next time... 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin 

© Nancy Gilbride Casey, 2024. All rights reserved.

* I am not endorsing purchasing the book on Amazon; it was just the first link that came up. 

 

Comments