Skip to main content

Featured

An Intriguing Immigration Theory for Joseph Becker

I've been asking the question, "What could have drawn my great-great-great-grandfather Joseph Becker and his family to Port Dalhousie from Sheldon, New York?" I heard back from one Ontario repository that I had inquired with regarding my question.  The Mayholme Foundation staff answered me this week with a simple answer and an interesting theory. The short answer was "employment opportunities." The theory involved a man named Owen McMahon.  Mayholme staff noticed that McMahon lived two doors down from my Joseph Becker in the first Canadian census in which he appears in 1871 in Port Dalhousie. The staff reported that this was significant as apparently Owen McMahon was known to have advertised to bring workers to Port Dalhousie to work in the various businesses in this growing port city. I found that McMahon was named one of the first city councillors in Port Dalhousie when it was incorporated in 1862 . Perhaps McMahon was facilitating immigration to the area in

Women's History Month: Annie's Family Women Tree


 

March is Women's History Month, so I'm looking at items owned, used, or made by some of my female ancestors, as well as my memories connected with them.

This posts departs somewhat from my original them of "items owned, used, or made by some of my female ancestors," but I suddenly remembered about it, and just had to share it. It's absolutely appropriate for Women's History Month.

Titled "Annie's Family Women Tree," this cardboard and construction paper creation was done by my daughter Anne Katherine Casey when she was in 3rd grade. It was a Brownie project the year I was a co-leader. I was becoming interested in genealogy back then, and so you can guess who picked the Family Story badge!

 

I love this piece so much, mostly because it features only female ancestors. I'm sure the goal for the Brownies was to make each girl aware of the accomplishments of women in her family. 

I remember Anne talking with her Papa (paternal grandfather) about his family to gather names and a historical tidbit about each woman. It was the first time I perhaps heard some of these names, or learned a bit about them. 

So on Anne's father's side we have facts like:

  • Nellie F. Taylor, preacher's wife
  • Clara Blackman, assistant to husband vet
  • Mary J. Weaver, moved from TN to TX in 1849, had 14 children
 
Dessie Evans Casey Cleberg's leaf.


Leaf for Claretta Hall Casey, Anne's paternal great-grandmother.


Anne asked me about some of my family and learned such facts as:

  • Ann M. Kozlina, born in a house, folk dancer
  • Louisa (last name unknown), born in Croatia
  • Anna Tatar, born in Czechoslovakia 
Leaf for Anne's late aunt, my sister Sharon Gilbride.

Anne's maternal great-grandmother Margaret Simonik Kozlina's leaf.


The tree is pretty skimpy on my side as I did not know very much about some of Mom's Eastern European ancestors back then, and some ladies have only a relationship listed or no facts. I'm happy to report that all these years later, I actually know quite a bit about all of these women.

Some of the information in the tree was family lore that was later disproved. One such fact was that my husband's family had Native American heritage. Rightly proud, our daughter noted at the base of the tree that she was "Part Comanche, Part Cherokee." Sadly, this is not true. 

But not to fear, Anne has plenty of other great women in her tree—several women who came over on the Mayflower, as well as the Susanna North Martin, wrongly accused of witchcraft in Salem, and hanged in 1692—alongside all the dozens of great women who have come in all the generations between then and now. 

I love the little sentence Anne added to the tree trunk:

"Generation to Generation Women in Our Family Tree Have Been Pasted to this Tree

Right down to me!

Annie K. Casey" 

I hang on to this tree as a great reminder of the women who went before, and of perhaps the first time that our daughter's eyes were opened to the wonderful women in her family history.

Until next time...

Follow my blog with Bloglovin 

© Nancy Gilbride Casey, 2024. All rights reserved.

This post was chosen for Friday Family History Finds on Empty Branches on Family Trees, for 22 March 2024. Thanks, Linda!


NOTES
 
Anne K. Casey, "Annie's Women Family Tree," created about 2002, author's personal archive, Tioga, Texas, 2024.

 









 

Comments

  1. What a wonderful keepsake! And what a delightful idea. Brava for your daughter. I have found some fascinating women in my tree, too, and found out more about an aunt who helped raise me. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really a fun piece and it makes me smile when I read it! That's great that you found out more about your aunt. Isn't it funny that when we're kids we don't really thinking of our older relatives actually having had a life, and that they were kids once too. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. Love this! Adorable project! My daughter had something similar, a genealogy/family tree badge project in Girl Scouts...It was definitely a lot of work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Most of the girls brought photos for the "show and tell" aspect of the badge work as I recall. I can't recall what else she needed to do...

      Delete

Post a Comment