Skip to main content

Featured

Fact or Fiction? More Answers on the Dewitt Blackman Mug Book Bio

In " Fact of Fiction: Dewitt Samuel Blackman and the 1890 Mug Book ," I wrote about my project to see how accurate a county history "mug book" biography was for my husband's great-great-great-grandfather. His biography appeared in the book  Portrait and Biographical Album of Sumner County, Kansas, Containing Full-Page Portraits and Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens of the County , published in 1890. For this just-for-fun project, I entered each fact noted in the bio into a spreadsheet and researched each to determine if they were true, false, or somewhere in between. Some claims were about Dewitt, his wife, and their family, while others involved his parents, his wife's parents, and even some generations further back. There were many claims to document, and I didn't complete the task with that first post. I've continued to research the facts, and here's my latest update. The following facts in the biography are tr...

Favorite Photo


I'm participating in the 2024 "52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks" Writing Challenge - Week 3 Theme: Favorite Photo


It's nearly impossible to pick a favorite photo from those I've accumulated through my research or that have been shared with me over the past several years by cousins. My "favorite" changes from time to time.

This precious photo is one of my current favorites, and was shared with me by my cousin. Pictured is my grandmother Mary Josephine Baker (1911-1981) with her older brother Charles Edward Baker (1908-1955).1 

I'm guessing that was taken about 1913 or so likely in Cleveland; Charles (or Charlie, as he was known), was born in St. Catharines, Ontario, but Mary Josephine (known is Josephine or Jo), was born in Cleveland. If taken about 1913, the family was living at 5009 St. Clair Avenue in Cleveland.2

Dad always said that his mother and her big brother were very close, and one can see the connection here. I can imagine Charlie protecting and guiding his little sister around the house or playing in the yard, making sure she did not get into any trouble. Little Jo looks very shy and quiet, and like she relied upon her big brother to take care of her.

The original photo was black and white. I enhanced the digital copy of the photograph with the Photomyne app on my Samsung phone in 2022. 

Until next time...

Next week's theme: Witness to History 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin 

© Nancy Gilbride Casey, 2024. All rights reserved.

 

NOTES

1 For Mary Josephine's birth: St. Edward's Church, Cleveland, Ohio, Certificate of Baptism for Mary Josephine Baker, (7 May 1911), prepared 1 June 1973. Private collection of R. Firestone [address for private use], 2022. Copied from original church register; date of birth 7 May 1911, date of baptism 4 June 1911. For Charles' birth: St. Catharines, Lincoln, Ontario, Canada, Births, 1908, #104, Edward Charles Baker, 1 May 1908, father Edward Jos. Baker, moulder; database and images, "Ontario, Canada Births, 1869-1912," FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-Y3S7-23B : 10 October 2023). 

2 Photo of Edward Baker and Mary Josephine Baker, unknown photographer, about 1913, location unknown; private collection of R. Firestone [address for private use], 2022. Colorized by N. Casey using Photomyne app, 2022.  For 1913 residence: "U.S., City Directories, 1822-1995," Cleveland, Ohio, 1913, p. 85, Baker, Edw., molder r 5009 St Clair av NE; digital image, Ancestry (https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/1344482356:2469 : 14 January 2024), image 770.


 


Comments