Skip to main content

Featured

Women's History Month: Mom's Autograph Book

March is Women's History Month, so I'm looking at items owned, used, or made by some of my female ancestors, as well as my memories connected with them. In my last post for Women's History Month I'm sharing this fun autograph book my mom, Anna Margaret Kozlina Gilbride (1937-2010), owned.  Autograph books were around when I was in grade school, though I don't recall having one. By the time I was in high school, friends usually signed each other's yearbooks, a practice which took the place of autograph books over time. "Before there were yearbooks, there were autograph albums. Keeping an Album amicorum or 'book of friends' was first popularized among university students in 16th-century Germany, and the books were primarily used to record signatures. But they also included quotes, advice, and fond messages from students, professors, and people of note. It was not until the late 18th century that autograph albums arrived in the U.S., reachi

From the Archives: Mom's Baby Books

 

Do you have an "archive" closet at home? You know, the place where all the family "stuff" goes to live? Mine is overflowing, and I can manage only one or two steps into it. It is literally a treasure trove filled with boxes of family memorabilia, photos, scrapbooks, documents, and heirlooms, inherited from my parents and grandparents, and Jim's family as well. 

I really need to go through the closet. I'm sure things can be weeded out, and collections can be whittled down. I went to the closet recently, and grabbed a box of my Mom's things, and opened it up. Wise idea?

The first thing I found was my Mom's two baby books. I was lost already! The artwork is so charming, and the details included—written in my Grandma Kozlina's flowing and sometimes tiny hand—are simply wonderful to read. 

So, of course, rather than cleaning, I had to share it! I suspect this will happen a lot as I go through boxes.

Here are some wonderful pages from Baby Days, given to my grandmother by her friend Katherine Kurutz.1 (Read letters sent from Katherine—an Army nurse—to my Grandmother during WWII here and here.)

Grandma's dear friend Katherine Kurutz gifted her this book.

Title page. 

Mom was born at her grandparents' home in West Leisenring, Fayette, Pennsylvania. Dr. Karolcik delivered her.


Mom was named Anna Margaret Kozlina. Grandma's mother and sister were both named Anna.

Mom's baby footprints are barely visible on this page, quite faded over time. It looks like Grandma tried to trace Mom's foot or outline her footprint on the lower left. 

By far some of the book's best pages are those where Grandma recorded all of Mom's first outings to see family and friends, attend church, go shopping, and even attend...a funeral

For ease of reading, here's a transcription:

Nov. 21, 1937 St. Johns Church, Uniontown, Pa. 

Grandpap's & Grandma's, Lemont Fce, Pa. 

Nov. 21, 1937 Shopping in Uniontown, Pa. 

Back to Grandma's & Grandpa's, West Leisenring, Pa.

Nov. 28, 1937 St. John's Church 

Uncle Steve's & Aunt Mgt's

Grandma's & Grandpa's, Lemont Fce, Pa.

Back home to Grandma's & Grandpa's in Bute, Pa.

Nov. 29, 1937 Dr. Jan Karolcik, shopping & back home

Dec. 3, 1937 Aunt Barb's & Uncle George's & back home

Dec. 4, 1937 Shopping in Uniontown, Pa.

Dec. 5, 1937 St. John's Church, Uncle Steve's & Aunt Mgt's & back home

Dec. 12, 1937  "         "         "        "         "

Great Aunt Mary Kiliany's place to see my dead Great Aunt 

back home, then to Grandma's & grandpa's, Lemont Fce., Pa., &

Uncle Steve's & Aunt Mgts' & back home.

Dec. 13, 1937 Great Aunt's funeral & back home.

She died Dec. 10, at 6:00 P.M. of heart attack.

 

By way of background:

  • West Leisenring and Lemont Furnace are located near Uniontown in Fayette County, Pennsylvania.
  • Grandma and Grandpa in West Leisenring refer to Anna and John Simonik, Grandma Kozlina's parents.
  • The Lemont Fce (Furnace) grandparents were Frank and Louise Kozlina, Grandpa Kozlina's parents.
  • Uncle Steve and Aunt Mgt. (Margaret) were Grandma's brother Steve Simonik and his wife Margaret Snelly.
  • Aunt Barb and Uncle George were Grandpa Kozlina's sister Barbara and her husband George Derov.
  • The "dead aunt" was Mary Dudra Kiliany, wife of John Kiliany, and Grandma's godmother.2

In my next post I'll transcribe a few more pages where I learned even more details about Mom's family.

Until next time...

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

This post was chosen as a Friday Family History Find by blogger Linda Stufflebean. Thank you, Linda!

 

NOTES 

1 Baby Days, baby book presented by Katherine Kurutz to Anna Margaret Kozlina's family, ca. 1937; privately held by Nancy Gilbride Casey, [address for private use,] Tioga, Texas, 2023. Book inherited by author from her mother Anna Kozlina Gilbride, 2010.

2 Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Department of Health, Certificate of Death 116512, Mary Kiliany, 10 December 1937; database and image, Ancestry (https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/4172357:5164 : 18 May 2023); citing County Courthouse, Uniontown. Also: Visitation Church, Mount Pleasant, Pennsylvania, Registrum Baptizatorum in Ecclesia, p. 86, baptism of Margaretam Simonik, 8 June 1913, sponsors Jos. Hanicak and Maria Kiliany; citing St. Pius X and Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mt. Pleasant. Copy provided to author.


 



Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you for reading Joy. It's been fun. Watch for next week.

      Delete
  2. A delightful and nostalgic baby book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is certainly that. Thank you for reading. Stay tuned for more...

      Delete
  3. How fun! How lucky you are to have such treasures from the past! Sadly, my mom had nothing of her childhood whatsoever, except a few pictures she got when she took a trip back to the Ohio family home, not until her 50s. Enjoy going through them, all! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment