Fact or Fiction? More Answers on the Dewitt Blackman Mug Book Bio
In " Fact of Fiction: Dewitt Samuel Blackman and the 1890 Mug Book ," I wrote about my project to see how accurate a county history "mug book" biography was for my husband's great-great-great-grandfather. His biography appeared in the book Portrait and Biographical Album of Sumner County, Kansas, Containing Full-Page Portraits and Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens of the County , published in 1890. For this just-for-fun project, I entered each fact noted in the bio into a spreadsheet and researched each to determine if they were true, false, or somewhere in between. Some claims were about Dewitt, his wife, and their family, while others involved his parents, his wife's parents, and even some generations further back. There were many claims to document, and I didn't complete the task with that first post. I've continued to research the facts, and here's my latest update. The following facts in the biography are tr...



Retired Tarleton librarian and archives manager here...I did a search in the US Newspaper Directory at the Library of Congress' Chronicling America site. The newspaper was actually called the Pecos Valley Irrigationist. It looks like the University of Texas - Permian Basin Library *MAY* have some issues in their Permian Historical Society Collections. Suggest you contact them at libraryarchives@utpb.edu.
ReplyDeletehttps://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn86090634/
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn86090634/holdings/
https://utpb.alma.exlibrisgroup.com/permalink/01UOTOTPB_INST/10ndpmq/alma991001077469704731
Thank you Amanda. I too have checked Chronicling America. I checked with UTEP a few years back and they said they could not find it. I might try again, just to see if fresh eyes can find it! Appreciate the look! Nancy
ReplyDeleteIt's likely they did not have all issues, but yes, fresh eyes can help. The library's website references newspaper clippings in that collection, so it could be in some sort of vertical file. You might also want to try Texas Tech - they have a pretty extensive Southwest Collection in their Special Collections. Good luck!
Delete