Skip to main content

Featured

Heirloom Investigation: Where Did This Cutlery Set Come From? Part 2

I'm on a quest to find out more about a cutlery set that was recently given to me. Last week, we looked at the objects themselves and described them. I shared that my father-in-law recalled his grandmother used the set in her home, and that it had been passed on from his grandmother to his mother, and then to him. And I had some theories. This week, I'm sharing what I've found out about the set by following the clues. I researched in newspapers, a Sears catalog, various historical websites, and more. What did I find out?    Wyoming Cutlery Co., Formerly Sanson Cutlery Co. A newspaper notice announced the name change of the Sanson Cutlery Company of Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, to the Wyoming Cutlery Co ., in December 1895. A brief history of the Sanson Cutlery Co. appearing in another newspaper in December 1894 noted that the company had started in June 1887 and was established on Horton Street in Wilkes-Barre. 1 The Wyoming Cutlery Company began as Sanson Cutlery Company in...

GENEALOGY CHALLENGE 2021 - Generational Photo

GENEALOGY CHALLENGE 2021

Generational Photo - January 12th entry of a 31-day challenge to post a document, photo or artifact on social media every day in January.  

by Nancy Gilbride Casey


 

BOOMER! 

I love this three-generation photo of my husband, son and father-in-law, for a few reasons. 

All three are died-in-the-wool University of Oklahoma fans. Jim and Papa (the kids' term for their paternal grandpa), both born and raised in Oklahoma, grew up rooting for OU. As far as football was concerned, OU was the most important football thing going. James was quickly initiated into the OU fold as soon as he was old enough to hold a football. So when it was time to pick a theme for a multi-generational photo, an OU-theme photo it was.

Ironically, our son now attends OU. OU may have been his last college visit of three, but it was the school that quickly rose to the top, the dream school. Somehow it just felt right that he would choose OU, and fulfill the unspoken generational dream that someone from the Casey family would attend there.

It's also not lost on any of us that another Casey family favorite—the Cleveland Browns—now possess a former OU quarterback in Baker Mayfield. It came as a complete shock to me to learn in the early days of my relationship with Jim, that both he and his dad were not only lifelong OU fans, but also lifelong Cleveland Browns fans as well. That's right, these Okies had been rooting for this gal's hometown team for years. A marriage made in heaven? In more ways than one!

OU is inextricably woven into our life as a a family. 

And that's OK.

  SOONER!



 

Comments