Skip to main content

Featured

Gilbride or Gallagher: Which Michael is Buried in Sacramento?

I'm taking on a little challenge this week to hopefully correct a mistake 138-years in the making. It involves a cemetery record in which the wrong surname was recorded. Was it Michael Gilbride or Michael Gallagher who was interred at St. Joseph Cemetery in Sacramento? (You may remember my posts about Michael Gilbride published in fall 2022, and how I originally discovered him, his family's move to Lowell, Massachusetts, and more. To catch up, start here:  Dear Sir: How I Found My Civil War Veteran, Michael Gilbride .) I can make a compelling case that the man was Michael Gilbride, who is a third great-granduncle, and the son of my immigrant ancestor James Gilbride (1874-1872) and his wife Mary Catherine Hart Gilbride (1807-1855). Why is this important? Michael was a Civil War veteran, who served in the 52nd Pennsylvania, Co. H. By the time he lived in Sacramento, he was indigent. In 1884, he applied for a Civil War pension, and was still fighting for it in 1886, when he died.

IN PERICULO MORTIS



By Nancy Gilbride Casey

On 7 October 1961, I nearly died.

Just five days old, I was nursing in my mother Ann's arms. Exhausted, she likely dozed off, and did not realize that I was choking. My father, Joe, passing by the bedroom, noticed I was turning blue, snatched me from her, resuscitated me and saved my life. The story goes that I was rushed to the hospital by police car, and miraculously survived.

Somewhere in the midst of the chaos which spanned mere minutes, another thing happened: My mother baptized me.

When I reflect on the shock and panic, the fear and dread that must have been present in those few moments between my Mom, my Dad and me, I am stunned that my mother had the presence of mind to act.

What water was nearby? What words did she say? Was my brother Tim there? The details are lost to me now.

Knowing that her mind flew to that act, in those scant minutes, tells me so much about her faith. That while she cared for my mortal body, she also cared deeply enough about my immortal soul, that she took that power into her own hands. Baptizing me was a given.

While I occasionally heard this story growing up, I also have a written record of it. My baptismal certificate states I was baptized on 7 Oct. 1961, "In periculo mortis."1 A Latin phrase, meaning, "in danger of death." It wasn't until I read and understood the words as an adult, that I realized how close I came to dying that day.

My baptismal record, extracted from the original record at St. Charles Borremeo, Parma, Ohio, in 1967.

In later years, as Mom would tell this story, she would chuckle about going to the priest shortly afterward to make sure that her baptism of me, in her words, "stuck." It was her way of making light of that dangerous day. The priest assured her it had.

On 12 November 1961, my maternal uncle Thomas Kozlina and my paternal aunt Margaret Gilbride, were named my godparents, in a ceremony at St. Charles Borremeo in Parma, Ohio. I wore a beautiful little white gown and cap. My brother, grandparents, aunts and uncles were there, I'm sure. And the family likely celebrated afterward, as always, gathering for food and drink at a nearby home.

But my only baptism—the one that counted—happened in the bedroom of a little house in Parma, a gift of love from my mother.



Subscribe to "Leaves on the Tree," to see updates to this and other family history stories, right in your email box. Click the green Subscribe link above.

Until next time...




1 Nancy Gilbride baptism certificate (1961); issued 1967, St. Charles Borremeo Church, Parma, Ohio; privately held by N Gilbride Casey [Address for Private Use].







Comments