Skip to main content

Featured

Fact or Fiction? More Answers on the Dewitt Blackman Mug Book Bio

In " Fact of Fiction: Dewitt Samuel Blackman and the 1890 Mug Book ," I wrote about my project to see how accurate a county history "mug book" biography was for my husband's great-great-great-grandfather. His biography appeared in the book  Portrait and Biographical Album of Sumner County, Kansas, Containing Full-Page Portraits and Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens of the County , published in 1890. For this just-for-fun project, I entered each fact noted in the bio into a spreadsheet and researched each to determine if they were true, false, or somewhere in between. Some claims were about Dewitt, his wife, and their family, while others involved his parents, his wife's parents, and even some generations further back. There were many claims to document, and I didn't complete the task with that first post. I've continued to research the facts, and here's my latest update. The following facts in the biography are tr...

On Top of the World


Anna Sophia Tatar Simonik, about 55 years old, and granddaughter Anna Margaret Kozlina, about 9 months old. Photo taken about July 1938 in West Leisenring, Fayette County, Pennsylvania. Unknown photographer.

I love this particular photo of Anna Sophia Tatar Simonik, my mother's Slovak maternal grandmother, and my mother Anna Margaret Kozlina Gilbride. Here is a grandmother clearly enjoying the company of her beautiful little granddaughter, perched--it appears--on top of the world.

This wonderfully clear photo, was taken when Mom was nine months old, about July 1938. It perfectly captures Anna's joy, and her delightful smile. Among the many special details visible are the crinkles around Anna's eyes and mouth, in contrast to Mom's smooth, baby skin. And while Mom wears a pretty little dress, white tights and clean shoes, Grandma Simonik wears a rumply, no-nonsense workday dress, dark hose and shoes, more fitted to her life and labors as a coal miner's wife.

I recall a drive we made to Pennsylvania from Ohio, to visit Mom's cousins when I was about eleven or twelve. As we drove along the road below, she pointed up to a high house on the hill and said, "That's where I was born."  Mom's grandparents, Anna and husband John Simonik, made their home in West Leisenring in Fayette County. Mom was born there 27 Oct 1937, to Thomas and Margaret Kozlina.

Many photos of Mom's childhood at her grandparents' house have this same amazing backdrop - a stunning view of the valley below, dotted with other frame houses.

Just over the picket fence in the middle ground of the photos, the coke ovens of the bituminous coalfields where John made his living, are seen. They are likely part of the Leisenring No. 2 coal mine, part of the Connellsville Coalfield which stretched from near Latrobe in Westmoreland County, to near the West Virginia border in Fayette County.

The amazing curvature of the earth visible on the horizon gives a sense of the top-of-the-world, bird's-eye-view enjoyed by those living in the house and visiting it.

It is an incredible backdrop to an otherwise homey scene: that of the old world meeting the new.


This blog post is part of the "52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks" writing challenge by genealogist, blogger and podcast host Amy Johnson Crow. This week's prompt: Family Photo.





Comments

  1. Cool pic!! And I really love your great-grandmother's smile :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment